Wednesday, January 9, 2008

What Drives Me To Save

When I was young, I often asked for the newest and greatest toy but despite being the youngest child in my family, I rarely was spoiled. In fact, I grew up on hand-me-downs which back then, I openly detested. As I look back on those days I cannot help but laugh at what I wanted thinking it was what I “needed.” My parents were not afraid to tell me no which I now greatly admire them for. My father always told me that one day, when I am in their boat, I will understand. Well, I am not quite there (I have no kids) nevertheless, it has helped me build a framework for a successful future. It truly has helped me put into perspective the things that I should really be spending my money on. And now when I do see something I want, I focus on finding a way towards saving for that goal.

Interests:

Technology- I am always itching for the newest and best. In the past year, I have done a great job at limiting my purchases though. To date, I have only bought a new Ipod and have so far resisted temptations to buy a blackberry (which would obviously increase my cell plan) and GPS for my car. I am currently saving so that by the end of 2008 or early 2009, I can buy a flat-screen LCD TV. And when I see my friends with these awesome toys, I start to crack but fight against it knowing that the valuables that I have are not broken nor do they need to be replaced…yet.

Sports- I am a sports fanatic through and through. Fortunately, the temptation is quelled due to that I am now living in a city different than where I am from and thus, not a fan of the sports teams here in DC. Nevertheless, anytime my team comes to town, I always am looking for tickets. Again, I have been doing a pretty good job so far since I moved to DC about 7 months ago on not spending very much. In fact, I have been to a Capitals, Redskins, Georgetown basketball and Nationals game for a grand total of $5!! For this I am quite proud. It was due to a combination of luck, haggling and also getting hooked up.

Cooking- This one not only saves me money but brings me great satisfaction. Not to mention, it helps me to eat healthier and it impresses the ladies!

Traveling- Growing up, I was privileged to be able to travel and see many different places but there are still a lot of places left for me to go. Specifically, I really want to go to all over Asia as well as South America. Sadly, these are quite pricey trips so I need to keep saving so I can afford these adventures. If I am lucky, maybe work will take me there.

What interests drive your saving/spending habits?

No comments: